Copyright and Teaching

Copyright consultation for teaching Email the Copyright Officer It’s essential that, as teachers, we comply with copyright legislation; the obvious reason is to avoid infringements that could lead to financial or reputational loss. But equally important, copyright owners’ rights should be respected (most of us are copyright owners too!), and we should set a good example for our students.

However, we shouldn’t be so paralysed with fear of infringement that we avoid using material “just in case”. The guide below is a starting point; if the information contained within doesn’t help – or if it prompts more questions – contact the Copyright Officer to discuss your questions.

Text & images

The University pays an annual licence fee to the Copyright Agency (CA), which allows staff to make certain copies without seeking permission. Generally, the licence allows you to copy:

  • 10% of a book, or one chapter, whichever is greater
  • one article per issue of a journal (or other periodical), or more if they're closely related in topic area
  • images, within limitations (see 'more information').


Licensed online journals & books

The Library provides access to a large number of journals and e-books through licence agreements with online publishers. The content of the licences varies, but generally they don’t allow for multiple copies to be made. In this instance, you should provide your students with a link to the resource, so they can access it directly.


Web content

The internet isn't simply a source of copyright-free material; unless an author explicitly states otherwise, all text, images, videos, code, and other material is protected by copyright. However, you can still copy text and images from the internet (even if a webpage includes a © symbol and an ‘All Rights Reserved’ statement) because, as long as the copying is for educational purposes, the licence mandated by Part VB of the Copyright Act applies.


TV & radio

You can receive television and radio broadcasts in class without seeking permission. Additionally, the university pays an annual licence fee to Screenrights, which allows staff to make copies without seeking permission. Generally, the licence allows you to:

  • record television and radio broadcasts for educational purposes
  • edit, make compilations, and make further copies of recorded broadcasts.


Films, videos and DVDs

You can show bought or rented video (e.g. DVD) in class – lectures, seminars, tutorials – for educational purposes, without seeking permission. However, you cannot copy bought or rented videos. You can, however, copy a video that was recorded from a broadcast (see TV and radio information above). 

more information...   [ + / − ] 

Music recordings

You can play music and other recordings in class – lectures, seminars, tutorials – for educational purposes, without seeking permission. You can copy and communicate for educational purposes music recordings from the four major Australian musical collecting societies (APRA, AMCOS, PPCA, and ARIA).

Last reviewed: 24 March, 2016

Follow us

Visit UOW Library on Facebook Follow UOW Library on Twitter Visit UOW Library on YouTube Check out the MyUOW phone app