Bert Flugelman (1923-2013)
Three Sculptures from the Transition Series
Bert Flugelman has achieved wide recognition as both sculptor and painter. Flugelman’s commissions for public art and sculptures within cityscapes have been controversial at times; however over time have become much loved and accessible features of many cities and galleries.
Flugelman was instrumental in establishing the famous Tin Sheds gallery and art workshop at the University of Sydney, which he kept open day and night to encourage student creativity. His influential teaching career included lecturer at the South Australian School of Art, Head of Sculpture at the Adelaide College of Fine Arts and Education and senior lecturer in UOW’s Faculty of Creative Arts. For his service to the University, especially in inspiring and supervising doctoral students, Flugelman was made a Fellow of UOW in 1990 and was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in 1995.
Widespread recognition of his outstanding lifelong contribution and service to the visual arts as sculptor and teacher includes the Australia Council Visual Arts/Craft Emeritus Award 1997 and Member of the Order of Australia (AM) 2006.
A number of his works are in the grounds of the University and his sculpture “Lawrence Hargrave Memorial”, located on Mount Keira, is the basis for the Library’s logo. A new work, Hargrave Library Sculpture incorporating the flight motif has been commissioned and installed near the entrance to the Library.
Content by: Associate Librarian, Client Services