Information skills at UOW
As academic staff, are you frustrated by your students favouring Google and Wikipedia and not using academic sources?
The Library's Liaison Librarians provide programs to develop students' information and research skills to improve their ability to find the variety of resources relevant to their assignments. Skills covered include: identifying information needs and learning how to find, evaluate and effectively use the information across a range of sources and technologies.
Your Liaison Librarian can work with you to help integrate information skills into your teaching programs, aligned with learning outcomes and assessments.
Information skills programs include:
- StartSmart - Essential Academic Information Skills, a program which is compulsory for all newly enrolled undergraduates and also recommended for new coursework postgraduate students. This program prepares students to find items on reading lists, to use the Library Catalogue and to start using databases to find articles for their studies.
- Customised information skills classes providing subject-specific instruction based on the direct learning outcomes of individual subjects. Read about one of our success stories.
- Teach-yourself tutorials and guides - offering convenient access and self-paced learning options through online resource guides and tutorials. Topics covered include: finding and evaluating books, journal articles and websites. Liaison Librarians also develop subject-specific resource guides for faculty programs.
- One-to-one consultations available through services such as Ask a Librarian where students can seek individual information skills assistance. Liaison Librarians also offer individual appointments to staff, researchers and postgraduate students to assist with their research skills development.
For advice or further information on the Library's information skills programs, please contact your Liaison Librarian.
- Historical information about Information Skills at UOW
- Presentations and publications on Information Skills at UOW