Benefits of e-books
- Accessible at all hours - 24x7
- Accessible by all students and staff regardless of location
- Ability to search within text
- High quality content
- Extend the Library's collections
- More students can access an e-book within a given time
- No waiting for an e-book to be reshelved.
- If accessing e-books from EBL, ebrary, Safari, ScienceDirect or Taylor & Francis homepages, users can search across the UOW licensed e-books available from each publisher.
Reading and using e-books
Electronic reference books
- AccessMedicine - Medicine
- Australian Medicines Handbook - Drugs marketed in Australia
- ChemNet Base - Chemistry dictionaries and handbooks
- Dictionary of Commonly Cited Compounds - 25,000 most commonly cited compounds in Chemical Abstracts
- Dictionary of Drugs - Drugs and pharmacological agents
- Dictionary of Natural Products - Naturally occurring chemicals
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online - General information, multidisciplinary
- Encyclopedia of Archaeology Online - Archaeology
- Encyclopedia of Gerontology - Ageing
- Encyclopedia of Materials - Material science
- Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology - All aspects of nanoscale science and technology
- Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science - Quaternary period
- ENVIROnetBase - Environmental science and engineering e-books
- Europaworld - Political and economic country data. Print equivalent, Europa World Yearbook
- Grove Art Online - Art in all periods and areas. Art forms, styles and movements, civilisations and cultures, subject matters and materials
- Grove Music Online - All aspects of music
- Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - Scientific data for chemistry and physics
- Handbook of Child Psychology - Child and developmental psychology
- Harrison's Practice - Medical topics
- International Encyclopedia of Communication - Media, psychology and IT aspects of communication.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences - Psychology and related social sciences
- Macquarie Dictionary and Macquarie Thesaurus - Australian English language
- MDConsult - Over 50 online medical books plus other material
- MIMS Online - Pharmacy - Print equivalent - MIMS Annual and MIMS Bi-Monthly
- New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics - Economics
- OECD iLibrary - Country data reports
- Optics Encyclopedia - Optics and its applications
- Oxford English Dictionary - Meaning, history, and pronunciation of words in the English language over the last millennium
- Oxford Reference Online - General reference, arts, history, business, sciences languages. Fulltext of dictionaries and other reference books.
- Oxford Scholarship Online - Electronic Books from Oxford University Press. The Library subscribes to the Economics and Finance module
- Polymers: a Property Database - Physical properties of polymers, scientific and trade information
- Properties of Organic Compounds - Organic compounds, featuring physical data, spectral data, and structures
- PsycBOOKS - Psychology includes current publications and classics
- Routledge Encyclopedia Of Philosophy Online - Philosophy
- Treatise on Geochemistry - Geochemistry
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering - Computer science
- World of Learning - Directory of international universities, museums, research institutes, art galleries and libraries
- World Who's Who - Prominent people
Public domain e-books
- Project Gutenberg - Project Gutenberg produces electronic books (e-texts) and makes them freely available to the public. Over 5,000 e-books are available.
- Project Gutenberg of Australia - Includes Australian writers, works about Australia and works of interest to Australians.
- Free Books - Links to a range of worldwide e-books.
Content by: Electronic Services Librarian
Last reviewed: 16 April, 2013