EndNote—frequently asked questions
Q: Where can I download EndNote?
Q: Can I install Endnote on my computer?
- Yes, all current UOW staff and students may install EndNote on a computer in their office and at home.
Q: How can I learn to use EndNote?
Q: how do I use EndNote for law studies?
- Learn the EndNote basics by either attending a class or working through the tutorial.
- Follow the steps to download the "Output Styles", "Setting up Reference Types" and formatting "Labels and References" available from the LAW tab in the Endnote guide.
Q: How do I insert corporate authors?
- Type the corporate author in the author field. Add a comma after the name. Example: World Health Organisation,
Q: How many files can be saved in the File Attachments field?
- Up to 45 different files may be attached to a single reference. For example TXT, RTF, HTML, WAV, MP3, Excel, PPT, Word, MOV and QuickTime.
Q: How many files can be saved in the Figure field?
- The figure field can contain only one graphic or file attachment. Use the Figure field to attach a graphic or file that you want to insert a Word document with Cite While You Write. A related Caption field appears directly under the Figure field in a reference. Use this field for a short description of the image of file.
Q: When editing a style template, how do I use a word that is also the name of a field (eg. URL)?
- To force EndNote to interpret a word as text, in the style template, enclose the word with an accent grave character eg.`URL`. This character is usually found in the upper left hand corner of the keyboard.
- Not including the punctuation in the bibliography template will cause the URL to appear in the output twice. Example: Available http://www.library.uow.edu.au: http://www.library.uow. edu.au
Q: Can I transfer references/bibliography from a Word document into an EndNote library?
- If the Word document has not been created using an EndNote library, manually transfer the references by using copy and paste. Additional options are included in the Advanced workbook.
- If the Word document has been created using an EndNote library and contains EndNote formatting:
- Open the document in Word
- Open an existing or new EndNote library
- From Word select Tool menu/Export Traveling Library
- Click OK
Q: How do I use a manuscript template to write a paper?
Templates provide specific formatting required by publishers. They include title, abstract, page font type and size, margins, headings, pagination, line spacing and graphics placement and may be edited.
To use the Manuscript Template Wizard within EndNote:
- From the Tools menu, select Manuscript Templates.
- Select and open the template named for the publisher to which you intend to submit your manuscript. NOTE: The first time you launch the manuscript template you may receive a notice about macros. Accept macros to continue with the wizard.
- A new document in Word is created based on the template file. A manuscript template wizard is launched to help set up your paper.
- Enter the information requested by the template wizard. As you enter information the wizard places it in all of the appropriate places in the document.
- To complete the wizard, click Next. At the final template wizard window, click Finish to close the wizard and start writing.
Q: How do I move my EndNote Library from one computer to another?
- You can save your complete library (the filename.enl file as well as its associated .DATA folder and all of its contents) to a single compressed filename.enlx file. In EndNote click on File / Send to / Compressed Library.
News and events
- News@Library - Spring 2014 issue