Finding conferences and their proceedings
Research is often first communicated via conferences and their proceedings. Presenting at conferences is a valuable way to publicly discuss and obtain feedback on your research. As a researcher, conference information is a useful way to maintain awareness of the latest research trends and information that may not be published in other formats. Consequently, published conference papers are at times overlooked because they can be difficult to find as they are neither a book or journal article, challenging to verify and locate.
- Find upcoming conferences
- Search Library databases for proceedings
- Search Library catalogues for proceedings
- Obtaining a copy of a proceeding
- Need more help?
Finding upcoming conferences
PapersInvited has detailed information and deadlines about calls for papers for forthcoming conferences and special issues of scholarly journals. These calls for papers are issued by professional bodies, journal editors and other conference organizers in all disciplines and from all over the world.
> Search PapersInvited <
- type a keyword for your area of research
- to limit to special issues of scholarly journals tick the Special Issues Only box
Many disciplines have their own website, below is a sample. For more examples of discipline specific sites, use a search engine.
- Financial conferences
- Health on the Net
- IEEE Conference Database
- Science Conferences
Search Library databases for proceedings
Web of Science
The Conference Proceedings Citation Index within Web of Science allows citation tracking with access to over 110,000 proceedings. Two editions of Conference Proceedings Citation Index are available: Science and Social Sciences & Humanities.
> Search Web of Science <
- 1990 to the present
- updated weekly
For conference information pre-1990 use the Index to technical & scientific proceedings
Conference papers are often published in journals and some databases allow you to limit to conference proceedings. Search the database for words such as limits or publication type. If the database has a thesaurus search for the terms conference or proceeding, you may be able to add these words as subject headings. Information published via journal articles may already be several years old.
> Search Faculty Databases <
- type a keyword from your area of research
- search for a limit or publication type icon or drop down menu, alternatively add the words conference or proceeding, for example coal mining and (conference* or proceeding*)
Search Library Catalogues for proceedings
The Library Catalogue contains conference papers and proceedings in most disciplines. Individual papers are not catalogued separately so you cannot search for an individual author of a conference paper.
> Search the UOW Library Catalogue
- Select Keywords search
- Type a keyword from your area of research and add the words conference or proceeding
- For example, coal mining and (proceeding* or conference*)
If you have the name of a proceeding or conference (for example Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy), try an author search, a title search or a keyword search.
The British Library is a large repository of international conference proceedings. Full bibliographic information is available to request items via the UOW Document Delivery service and for some conferences there are links to the contents page.
> Search the Integrated Catalogue
- Click on Advanced search
- Type a keyword for your area of research and add the words conference or proceeding
- For example: nanotechology in the first box
conference* or proceeding* in the second box
- Click on the heading Yearto resort results by date
Obtaining a copy of a proceeding
Use Document Delivery to obtain a copy of proceeding not held by the UOW Library.
- Click on the Chapters/Conference papers link.
- Fill in as much information as possible
Need more help?
Content by Research Training Librarian
- Document Delivery system upgrade - service unavailable from Fri 13 Dec 16:30 to Mon 16 Dec midday.
- UOW Clubs & Societies Exhibition - Library Panizzi Room
- Open Access @ UOW
- News@Library Spring edition released