- Browse UOW digital theses
- Procedures for deposit
- UOW Thesis Collection
- See also Thesis Submission and Graduation guide
- See also Finding Theses guide
Background and rules
- University of Wollongong higher degree research theses are available electronically via the University's Research Online repository. Research Online is an open access digital archive promoting the scholarly output of the University of Wollongong.
- Benefits of providing access to postgraduate research theses in Research Online.
- increased visibility of UOW research output worldwide via the Web
- improved access to unique research information contained in theses
- increased access and use of an under-utilised but valuable information resource
- greater opportunity for recognition by the international research community
University regulations and participation
The University's General Course Rules now require all UOW higher degree research students (i.e. Masters by Research and Doctoral submissions) to provide a digital copy of the final version of their thesis to the Graduate Research School (GRS). The digital copy will be made available by the Library for worldwide access via Research Online and the Web.
Students who completed a research degree in recent years and who still have an electronic copy of their thesis are also encouraged to make their thesis available via Research Online. Please contact Rebecca Daly for further information.
- The Graduate Research School provides the Library with the student's electronic files for deposit to Research Online.
- Before deposit to Research Online, Library staff ensure all files have been converted to PDF format.
- Library staff create a record for Research Online, including an abstract and keywords and attach files.
- The metadata attached to the thesis record allows searching and retrieval by sophisticated search engines such as Google.
- Web links to the digital thesis will be provided from the Library’s search tool, and from the National Library’s Trove service.
- Each thesis deposited to Research Online has a unique URL, which can be distributed to prospective employers and research colleagues, etc.
Note: Most theses are available the Research Online, and the remaining print theses are available for consultation only within the Library
More information about the Thesis Collection.
- The Research Online site provided over three million downloads in the twelve months to November 2015, with approximately 425,000 of these being theses.
- The placement of theses on open access via Research Online increases use and citation (Alma Swan, The Open Access Citation Advantage, 2010). http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18516/
Rebecca Daly, Associate Director Collections and Scholarly Communications
Phone: (02) 4221 5918
Content by Associate Director CSC