- Overview of the Collection
- Searching for UOW theses
- See also University regulations regarding theses
- See also Finding Theses guide
- See also Digital Theses @ UOW FAQs
Overview of the Thesis Collection
The Thesis Collection comprises over 3,000 University of Wollongong higher degree research theses (Doctoral and Masters by Research). Some Honours theses are also included if their content pertains to the Illawarra region or if they have been recommended for inclusion by an academic staff member. Some of these theses date from the early 1960s when the University's predecessor, the Wollongong University College, was a division of the University of New South Wales.
Digital UOW theses
The Library provides access to many UOW theses in fulltext electronic format via the Research Online institutional repository.
Print (hard copy) UOW theses
- The print Thesis Collection is on the ground floor. Physical access to the collection is restricted.
- To request access to a specific thesis, please ask at the ground floor service point in the Library foyer.
- Theses cannot be borrowed, but can be viewed in the Library.
- The majority of the theses are in print (hard copy) format. A small number are held only on microfiche. These can be viewed using the microform reader/printers in the Short Loans area.
- In addition to the main Thesis Collection, the Curriculum Resources Centre holds a small collection of Education Honours theses.
Restricted UOW theses
Some UOW theses may not be accessible for a specified period (usually 24 months), without written permission from the supervisor or author, if at the time of submission they have been:
- embargoed by the author with the agreement of the supervisor and the Research Student Centre (this access restriction applies to both the print and digital copy of the thesis)
- electronically restricted by the author (this access restriction applies to the digital copy only)
For details, see Digital Theses @ UOW FAQs.
Searching for UOW theses
- Digital UOW theses are searchable via Research Online.
- Hard copy UOW theses held by the Library are listed on the Library Catalogue and are searchable by author, title and subject keyword.
For tips on how to search for theses on specific topics, consult the Finding Theses guide.
Can't find a specific thesis?
If the Library doesn't hold a specific UOW thesis (e.g. a Masters by Coursework or Honours thesis), please check if a copy is available in the relevant faculty/school.
News and events
- News@Library - Spring 2014 issue