Publication management

Publication Management @ UOW 

Frequently asked questions

Can you explain the publication management process at UOW?

Publication management refers to the capture, collection, classification, discoverability and reporting of UOW research outputs (publications and other materials) that result from the research process.

Publication management is a shared responsibility.

The Library:

  • Maintain the University publication collection in RIS and Research Online.
  • Maintain accurate metadata in RIS and Research Online.
  • Assist University staff to enter publications into RIS.
  • Verify publications against ARROW criteria.


  • Let the Library know of any 2010+ research outputs missing from RIS.
  • Provide a final manuscript version of your publication if requested for Research Online.

Research Services Office:

  • Generate RIS reports for faculties and ERA
  • Maintain UOW Scholars

I’m a new staff member at UOW. Do I need to let the University know about my previous publications?

If you have authored scholarly publications whilst at another university or research organisation, then for initiatives such as ERA it is important that publications within the reporting period are recorded in the University Research Information System (RIS).

As a new staff member at UOW, include your publications in RIS (including publications you authored before joining UOW) by forwarding your CV (list of publications) to the Scholarly Content Team in the Library - email This will ensure your publications are captured in University reporting exercises, such as ERA.

For further help in managing your publications in RIS and RO, contact the Library’s Scholarly Content team - email or phone ext 5109.

Where can I get help managing my publications in RIS and Research Online?

The Library can provide assistance in entering, editing or managing publications in RIS and Research Online. Call the Scholarly Content Team in the Library on extension 5109 or email

What version of my publication do I need to provide to the Library?

Please provide the following versions of your publication to the Library:

  • Publisher PDF (also known as a ‘proof’ or ‘Author copy’)
  • Final manuscript version (also known as post-peer reviewed version or post-print)

Copies of original publications (publisher versions) are stored in RIS for ERA reporting. Additionally, to support UOW's Open Access Policy, final manuscript versions of publications are stored for transfer to the institutional repository.

Forward your publications to the Library for inclusion in RIS and Research Online:, or submit them using the publications submission form.

Can I edit the record of one of my publications in RIS?

If you are listed as the ‘owner’ for administrative purposes of a publication in RIS, you will be able to edit the record for that publication until it is verified by the library. The ‘owner’ is generally the first named UOW author of the publication when imported into RIS. If you are unable to edit the record of one of your publications, please contact the Library on ext. 5109 or email for assistance.

I disagree with the category assigned to my publication by the Library. Can the status be reviewed?

If you wish to query the category that the Library assigned to your publication, please contact the Scholarly Content Team in the Library on 4221 5109 or email The category assigned to a publication is based on the ARROW specifications provided by the Research Services Office at UOW. The Library will review the category assigned to your publication and advise you of the outcome.

Why do I need to enter my affiliation into my publication?

Affiliation is the acknowledgement of institutions and research groups in a publication by-line. International University rankings and other important research measurement exercises (such as ERA) draw data from external providers such as Scopus and Web of Science. The data extraction is fully automated and relies on an institutional affiliation to be noted in the by-line of publications. Without an affiliation, the publication cannot be attached to an institution and will be missed, meaning a university ranking may be based on a partial selection of its research publications.

You should also acknowledge any academic unit or research group as appropriate. The UOW Authorship Policy has more information about affiliating publications.

How do I ensure copyright compliance of my publications in Research Online?

Copyright restrictions can vary from publisher to publisher. The Library checks any restrictions that might apply to your publication, and ensures that all requirements are met, including embargoes. Library staff will let you know which version of your publication is required. More information on Copyright and Research Online.

Why can’t I put the Publisher pdf of my publication on Research Online?

Many publishers do not allow the published pdf (also known as a ‘proof’ or ‘Author copy’) to be uploaded to institutional repositories such as Research Online. Where copyright permits, the final manuscript (also known as post-peer reviewed version or post-print) is used. Most publishers do allow for the deposit of some version of a research output with an institutional repository. The UOW Open Access Policy supports a Green approach to open access. Green Open Access is defined as follows:

the author can self archive, via the institutional repository, accepted manuscripts at the completion of the publication submission process.

This can vary from publisher to publisher, and your contract with your publisher should stipulate who owns the copyright. If the publisher takes ownership of copyright, the contract should stipulate what are your exclusive and non-exclusive rights, in terms of copying and communicating the publication. The Library is able to provide assistance and advice regarding copyright matters.

I have publications resulting from an NHMRC or ARC grant. What are the requirements for making my publications available open access in Research Online?

NHMRC policy requires the full text of all peer reviewed journal articles arising from a grant, even where the funding is only partial, to be made publicly available via an institutional repository within 12 months of the date of publication. This requirement relates to publications dating from 1 July 2012. The NHMRC also encourages researchers to deposit any further publications arising from a research grant in an open access repository.

The ARC requires any published material arising from a grant to include the project ID and list the ARC as the funding source. The publication must also be included in an institutional repository within 12 months of the date of publication, and the metadata for that publication must be included within 3 months of the data of publication. This relates to publications dating from 1 January 2013.

The Chief Investigator is responsible for ensuring the conditions of a grant are met irrespective of their authorship role. Publications need only be deposited in one repository however duplicate metadata (with or without the full-text) may be deposited in additional repositories at the discretion of co-authors from other institutions.

Publishers can have varying policies about which version of publications may be made available in repositories and embargo periods before a publication may be deposited in an institutional repository. Contact the library at for assistance with determining which version of your publication can be made available and embargos. If a copyright licence or agreement precludes releasing an article this must be recorded in the Final Report for the grant. Similarly, if an agreement does not allow a publication to be made available within twelve months, it needs to be made available as soon as possible after this date and this must be recorded in your Final Report. Please note that grant recipients are not required to use paid open access options offered by some publishers.

Research Online is the University of Wollongong’s institutional open access repository. You can email copies of your publications to or submit them using the publications submission form. Please be sure to send the Library the grant numbers for those publications linked to grants. Your publications will be deposited in Research Online.

What should I do if a journal publisher requires an embargo period or does not allow any version of my NHMRC or ARC grant publication to be made available open access in an institutional repository such as Research Online?

It is sometimes possible to vary the terms of a publication agreement through direct negotiation with a publisher. You may also wish to consider publishing in a journal of equal status and suitability which allows open access, if one exists. The Academic Outreach team at the Library can help you identify suitable journals.

If you have explored all options and you are still unable to release an open access copy of your publication within 12 months of publication, contact the Research Services Office.


← Publication management @ UOW

Last reviewed: 15 September, 2017